Big Cypress & Everglades Tours FAQ’s
Captain Steve’s Swamp Buggy Adventures.
1. What is your phone number?
1-877-871-5386 -toll free
1 – 2- 3- 9 – 6 9 5 – 2 1 8 6~local
2. What are your open hours?
7 Days 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM
3. What should we bring?
Capt. Steve’s provides a cooler with water & ice, and rain jackets. We also supply the bug repellent as needed.
We have enough water on board for the day in an iced cooler. You are welcomed to bring anything else that you wish to eat or drink. Just please adhere to our “Leave Only Footprints” policy.
Clothing appropriate for the day’s weather is needed. Sun protection is always a good idea. Sunglasses, hats with brim, sun block, etc. A small hand towel, and a change of clothing for the ride home. (rainy season)
Along the trail, you may wish get off of the swamp buggy and walk around. Protective footwear, that you do not mind getting wet is a good idea. Bring your camera (in a dry bag if it is not waterproof). Binoculars and/or field glasses may also come in handy.
- Not included but available is Joanie’s Blue Crab Cafe’ here in Ochopee
Florida will prepare you a delicious lunch and “buggy wrap” it for the
days adventure ahead.
- In nearby Everglades City the are many choices for lunch or dinner.
4. What are your Rates?
Give me a call for special custom pricing. Capt. Steve operates multiple buggies
that can carry up to six passengers each. Airboat Tours Are Also Available.
5. Is there a minimum or maximum age limit?
Please Call and ask about the current conditions.
6. Do you take Credit Cards?
7. Where are you located?
The Big Cypress National Preserve, Florida Everglades. Ochopee Fla. 34139
8. What can I realistically expect to see?
That will be left up to Mother Nature. Every Swamp buggy Adventure is a one of a kind experience into the Big Cypress National Preserve. No two trips are ever the same. No cages and no animals are captive, just nature in the raw.
Often you’ll be fortunate to see a lot of wildlife, some days not so much. On any given day you may see ospreys, various breeds of herons and egrets, and raccoon’s.
Commonly seen are wood storks, white ibis, bald eagles, numerous hawks, owls, swallow-tail kites, both turkey and black vultures. It’s also possible you may bobcats, or even the ever elusive panther, and a healthy population of white- tail deer and black bear all from the safety of the swamp buggy.
Of course there have been trips when we see very little wildlife. This is the Native Habitat.
You’ll really never know what you’re going to see until you get there. One
thing is for sure, If you don’t go, you won’t know…
There is more to the Big Cypress National Preserve than just the wildlife. The Sub tropical Flora and Fauna here in the Florida Everglades is only the beginning.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you book with Captain Steve:
- Captain Steve runs a small, personal business focusing on a quality, true feel of the Florida Everglades. There are no frills involved, but its well worth it.
- The Florida Everglades has 2 seasons; wet (typically summer) and dry (typically winter) Your experience will vary greatly depending on the season. Be sure to talk to Captain Steve so you know what to expect.
- This is an Eco-tour, NOT Disney World. If you are looking for a thrill ride, stick with the theme parks. If, however, you are looking to enjoy Florida at it’s most beautiful, this is the trip for you.
- This is not a zoo, it’s nature… Weather, time of year, time of day, and countless other factors effect the movement of wildlife. I assure you, no one on the tour is more excited about you getting to see some of Florida’s most spectacular creatures than Captain Steve is. That said, it’s still nature, so luck plays a big factor in what you will see.
8. Will I get wet?
If it rains, or possibly if you were to get off the buggy. (wet season June – November)
9. Do you offer overnight camping trips?
Yes In the cooler months. Chances are you wouldn’t care for Summer Camping. We also have cookout trips wher we serve stone crab and a swamp boil. And the Tropical Smores are the best..
10. Will my children enjoy the Adventure? Is there an age limit?
Please, tell us more about what is it you would most like to see and do? What would make this the best experience for your family and friends? Fill out the form below and tell us what kind of swamp buggy adventure you have in mind or any questions you may have?
Thank you, –Capt. Steve.
I look forward to serving you….